Wednesday 22 February 2012

The Gallery - Landscapes

How timely is this theme from Tara for the Gallery?
That is of course a rhetorical question given I have just come back from North Wales.

I have been to some lovely countries with beautiful landscapes like the Sahara Desert or Ngorongoro in Tanzania, the Tatra Mountains in Poland, and our very own Lake District just to name a few. They all stand out in my memory for their beauty, all differing wildly but equally jaw droppingly striking.
Sadly, all the photos are in the loft buried under boxes of Christmas decorations. One day (or month) I will catalogue them all properly, or at least put them into some albums so that I can relive the memories and share them with the children who I hope will see some fantastic landscapes themselves one day.
So instead I give you North Wales :)

This was the view from our living room window.

Porthmadog view

Yes, I know. This is Porthmadog harbour and Ffestiniog behind. The only downside to this view is that you had to climb steps equivalent to a 4 story house to get to the front door. Small price to pay.

And the same mountains as seen from Borth-y-Gest with a lucky (and rare) break in the clouds.

Borth-y-Gest View

In the park in Porthmadog, playing with the kids I happened to look up and saw a horse on the top of the hill directly behind the houses. Weird to see a horse where you would normally expect to see a cloud.


Admittedly, not the most technically accomplished photo I've ever taken but demonstrates the point I feel!

Finally we took a trip to see Snowdon *ahem* on the wettest and cloudiest day of our holiday.

Snowdon

Look! There it is. Behind that blanket of cloud. I think. Spectacular landscape I'm sure you agree.

I'm going on a virtual journey around some stunning landscapes over at Sticky Fingers. Bring your passport!


19 comments:

  1. *jumps up and down with excitement* I love North Wales. these photos are wonderful. I've been all over the world and I still think North Wales is the most beautiful place on the planet.
    My best friend lives in Llanberis and the snowdon railway runs a long the bottom of her garden - when I stay there Snowdon is the first thing I see in the morning - mostly it looks like your photo! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I join the North wales appreciation society too? So underrated these days. Just such a magical place though. I went to Harlech loads as a kid and went back last summer with my kids, sea, mountains and forest so many landscapes in one legend packed place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Looking up Harlech on the map*
      Right, definitely one for next time.

      Delete
  3. We used to go to Harlech for family holidays when I was a child as well.
    I've not been to Wales for years. I think I'll talk to the hubby and arrange a visit in the summer holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another mention of Harlech. I'm definitely heading there next time :)

      Delete
  4. they are lovely. Its the darkness of the hills and the small towns in th eforefront. I love North Wales. correction, I love Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The view from your living room window?! Wow. Putting this on my list of places to visit for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the effect on the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welsh people are probably the friendliest people I've ever met in the UK! I was fortunate to visit Caerphilly and Cardiff about 12 years ago, and wished I could've moved there. Now that I live in England (since 2006), I think I must go back and explore as much of Wales as possible. I've always thought it was such a stunning country. Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds beautiful and the views are gorgeous! I spend a lot of time in South Wales so maybe I need to venture north as it looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Wales but then I am biased seeing as Mr Dad is welsh and I'm a first generation half breed :) A fantastic set of pics. ONly in Wales can you get random animals on top of large hills. Particularly love the one of Borth-y-Gest

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Mum used to take us camping to North wales...we loved it. Mum loved Snowdonia. Beautiful place. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. My Mum moved to mid-Wales last year and I love it there. Such dramatic landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful photo's
    Love the last one the best!

    Lou :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the first one - to have that waiting outside for you must have been amazing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mountains and water are an amazing combination!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic view you have from your house!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some beautiful pics you've taken and it makes me want to go to Wales now with scenery like that to discover. Love the horse in the distance too!

    ReplyDelete

Oooh, I do like a good comment :-)