Wednesday 23 January 2013

Adventure

 fineshades woods

As I watched them walk ahead of me along a path we hadn't been before, I considered their excitement, the thrill of a new journey, new sights and new wonders to explore.

When you are one, you have only seen a fraction of the days you will see in your life time. You will have experienced only a small portion of the thrills and spills that will be your life. So each day can be and should be an adventure.

As we get older the proportion of newness, of glittering, exciting things decreases. The balance changes and the adventures are fewer and further between. We have seen it before, experienced it before, and it no longer has the same appeal. The outcome of the day becomes predictable. But we all love an adventure, it just seems that as we age, they are harder to come by. 

I have an idea. Can we create our own mini adventures in our day? For instance, an unexpected jaunt around the cosmetics counter? That's certainly an adventure for me these days. A new walk for you and your dog? Starting a new book? They are adventures in their own way. Admittedly, it's not quite the same as sipping a Martini in an infinity pool at the Golden Triangle Resort, Chiang Rai, Thailand (for example) but by doing a little something that is different, out of the norm, something that is new, we can create a little blip of excitement, can't we?

In the same way, I am feeling a sense of responsibility to offer my children the opportunity to have adventures. Big ones and mini ones, holidays to exciting places or treasure hunts around the garden. I want them to feel excitement, be swept away with the spirit of adventure, every day. It is my duty. That and ensuring they have done their homework.

So tomorrow, a new adventure.
What will yours be?

Joining in with The Gallery and the theme of 'Adventure' at Sticky Fingers.


12 comments:

  1. Ahh homework! Pah! :) Really nice words, its true...an adventure comes in all shapes and sizes and its something I really want to give my boy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post and very sweet photo! I feel my life is an adventure every day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. My adventure tomorrow will be a trip to a Munich hairdressers. I am truly petrified! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a one year old so much is an adventure yes, but that comes back as we get older. Every day I venture into a room and have no idea whether I will know why I went there in the first place! It's a bit like going to the shops without a list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that since having children my sense of adventure has returned and I love nothing more than heading out on another mini adventure with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photo! I adore creating adventures for my toddler and I relive them as she experiences each new encounter. Lydia x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww lovely photo of the kids off on an adventure..

    ReplyDelete
  8. The adventures now are mainly mini, but still exciting - just not enough of them as you say. I know if I'm enthusiastic about something it tends to rub off on the kids. Camping is a great example, though hasn't rubbed off on my husband!:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. We will have an adventure in June that's for sure! Which reminds me I need to chase dates!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post :) You've inspired me. *hunts for treasure map*

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous photo! Adventures are so important - for adults and children alike!

    ReplyDelete

Oooh, I do like a good comment :-)